The Sustainable Purchase Policy of BNDES aims to promote the adoption of social and environmental sustainability criteria, associated with economic-financial criteria, in its process of acquisition of goods and services.
In addition to enhancing the planning and the efficient use of resources, the policy boosts the Bank’s efforts to encourage the adoption of sustainable practices among its suppliers, expanding the benefits to society as a whole.
- Resource efficiency (reducing, reusing and recycling them), minimizing the need for the acquisition of goods and services.
- Planning the acquisition of goods and services as an essential instrument for sustainable development.
- Dissemination of the concepts and practices of sustainability in the Brazilian society.
- To base purchase decisions on a long-term vision that integrates the needs of all fundamental units of the BNDES System.
- To examine, whenever possible, at the time of contract demands, the Life Cycle of the objects to be contracted, seeking to identify the social and environmental impact in the course of their existence, understanding it from the moment of extraction of natural resources up to the final disposal.
- To include, whenever possible, objective criteria of social and environmental sustainability, including those contained in the certification of institutions of recognized credibility in the Term of Reference, Basic Project or another document that start bidding or direct contracting processes carried out by BNDES.
- To promote programs to raise awareness of service providers, condominiums of the BNDES System and other partners about the importance of the adoption of social and environmental sustainability criteria in their activities.
- To develop partnerships with other organizations with the aim of articulating shared sustainable purchase.
- To share experiences in sustainable purchases with other organizations, seeking continuous improvement of practices related to the topic.
- To capacitate employees of the BNDES System involved in the procedures for purchase of goods or contract of services, in order to keep them updated and informed on the theme “sustainable purchase”.
- To implement environmental awareness programs directed to employees of the BNDES System, seeking everyone’s commitment with sustainable consumption.
- To include, wherever possible, specific penalties to contractors, in case of non-compliance with these technical specifications supported in the concept of sustainability.
- To monitor and keep systematized the publications of new legal devices related to sustainable public purchase.
- To cooperate with Government and civil society entities seeking the development of sustainable practices in the Brazilian society.
In order to execute the principles and guidelines of the Sustainable Purchase Policy, BNDES traced strategies such as the establishment and implementation of action plans, with goals and objectives; and the maintenance of the Sustainable Bidding Booklet, among others.